Commander - Group 1
Commander – Group 1
Reports to: FLWG/CV – Vice Commander
Reviewing Official: CV, CC
Application Deadline: 25 APR 2022
Who May Apply: Active members of Florida Wing. If you don’t meet the requirements stated below, you may still apply, and be considered.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Group commanders represent the Wing Commander in their group. They are responsible to the Corporation and the Wing Commander for ensuring that corporation objectives, policies, and operational directives are effectively executed within their group. They shall:
- Exercise command over all units in their group.
- Promote objectives and purposes of CAP by encouraging the achievement of established goals and programs by all units and by establishing new goals and programs within the group in support of the Corporation’s objectives.
- Establish plans, policies, and procedures necessary to the proper conduct of group affairs that are not in conflict with National, Region, and Wing policies and directives.
- Be aware of accomplishments, problems, and degree of compliance by subordinate units with policies and directives through a system of inspections, reports, and staff visits. Inform the Wing Vice Commander of progress toward achievement of objectives, notable accomplishments, problem areas, and other matters of interest.
- Ensure the safety of personnel and equipment through effective policy guidance regarding safety procedures and equipment.
- Select and appoint high caliber group staff members and remove from group staff positions those members deemed unqualified or otherwise unsuitable to continue in their positions.
- Coordinate with the Wing Vice Commander on the appointment of high caliber commanders of subordinate units when replacements are needed or removal of unit commanders whenever they are considered unqualified or otherwise unsuitable.
- Refer problems that cannot be resolved at the group level to the Wing Vice Commander.
CAP Directives: The Group Commander should be familiar with the CAP Constitution and bylaws, and all applicable regulations.
- Grade of Captain.
- Completed Level II or above
- Previous experience as Unit Commander.
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office programs, and working in a Windows environment. Must utilize a Wing issued email account
- Very strong organizational skills and extreme attention to detail.
- A highly professional demeanor, positive outlook, and a can-do attitude.
- Reside within the Wing. Infrequent, temporary absences of short duration are permissible
- Grade of Major.
- Completed Level III or above.
- Group Staff experience.
Required Documents: Applicants must submit the following documents by the application closing date:
- Cover Letter.
- Civil Air Patrol Resume.
- Professional Resume.
- Unit Commander’s Endorsement.
Applicant screening will be done without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, or
Applicants will be asked for a personal or telephonic interview. Upon notification, a mutually convenient
time and place will be arranged. Inquiries concerning specific aspects of the duty position should be
directed to the Reviewing Official.
Selection criteria are based on Civil Air Patrol training, experience, and participation, as well as civilian
education and experience related to the position.