Reports to: FLWG/CC
Reviewing Official: Wing CC, Wing CV, Wing CS
Who May Apply: Active members of Florida Wing. If you don’t meet the requirements stated below, you may still apply, and be considered.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Work directly with the commander as a key member of the commander’s staff and serves as the commander’s expert on Safety Risk Management (SRM) and the CAP Safety Management System.
• Reviews all Safety Significant Occurrences into CAPSIS and regularly briefs the Commander on the status and progression of all SSO’s. Wing SE will assign a qualified Review Officer to each SSO and follow the progression.
• Always promotes and practices a strong Safety Culture.
• Ensure proper application of Risk Management for CAP activities and missions in the Wing. This will include ensuring a qualified Activity Safety Officer is assigned when required.
• Direct or facilitate a risk assessment when a new aircraft type, vehicle type, building, or location is acquired or utilized.
• Plan monthly safety briefings for the Wing Staff meeting and either instruct or arrange an instructor to deliver the briefing.
• Promote and follow up on Groups’ and/or Squadrons’ Annual Safety Risk Management Day and Operational Risk Management training. These are required to be completed in the first quarter of each calendar year.
• Be the subject matter expert during Subordinate Unit Inspections and Compliance Inspections. • Complete the following modules and training through AXIS, FEMA and/or a Safety mentor: • Activity Safety Officer
• Mishap Review Course
• CAPF 116 General ES questionnaire
• Qualify in General ES
• Intermediate Risk Management
• Complete one review of an actual SSO in CAPSIS
• IS-700 (FEMA)
CAP Directives: The Wing Safety Officer should be familiar with the following directives:
Grade of Capt / Staff Sergeant or above.
Current or Previous experience as a CAP Safety Officer at the squadron, group or Wing level
Graduate of National Safety Officer College, or graduate from NSOC within one year of appointment
Technician rating in the Safety Specialty Track and have completed the academic and knowledge requirements for Senior Rating.
Current or previously qualified CAP pilot or have extensive experience as a General Aviation pilot outside of CAP.
Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office programs, and working in a Windows environment.
Very strong organizational skills and extreme attention to detail.
A highly professional demeanor, positive outlook, and a can-do attitude.
Reside within the Wing. Infrequent, temporary absences of short duration are permissible.
Grade of Maj / Master Sergeant or above.
Master rating in the Safety Specialty Track.
Completed Level III or above.
Two years’ experience as Safety Officer at the Group level.
Required Documents: Applicants must submit the following documents by the application closing date:
Civil Air Patrol Resume.
Unit Commander’s Endorsement.
Applicant screening will be done without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, or disability.
Applicants may be asked for a personal or telephonic interview. Upon notification, a mutually convenient time and place will be arranged. Inquiries concerning specific aspects of the duty position should be directed to the Reviewing Official.
Selection criteria are based on Civil Air Patrol training, experience, and participation, as well as civilian education and experience related to the position.